Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Nasi Kerabu

Dear Diary,

Every weekend without fail, we will go to my in laws’ house unless we’re out of Klang Valley. It has become a custom to us. Whenever there is a family get together, one menu that is almost always been selected as the main course is Nasi Kerabu.

According to Wikipedia,

Nasi Kerabu literally means "rice salad". Kelantan has a variety of Nasi Kerabu. Nasi Kerabu Biasa ('Normal'), Putih ('White'), Hitam ('Black', though the actual color is blue after the flower used as colouring in the recipe) and Kuning ('Yellow', for the turmeric used in the cooking process). Each Kerabu is usually served with a matching, traditional 'sambal'. The 'Kerabu' (salad) itself can be any combination of vegetables or edible leaves. It is also served with fried breaded fish, 'keropok keping' (see below), salted egg, 'solok lada' (chilies stuffed with minced fish and grated coconut), and pickled garlic. Importantly, a sauce called budu must be included for the dish to qualify.

No, no, no! I’m not the chef. Though I’ve been married into a Kelantanese family, I don’t know how to cook nasi kerabu from scratch. Pandai makan je. The usual case is I just lend a hand in the preparations. Note to myself, one of these days must get me to learn cooking this traditional Kelantanese dish. By the way, to get the blue color for the rice is by using a type of flower called bunga telang.

2 notes of inspiration:

Unknown said...

Give 5! sama lah ngn i..i got married to a kelantanese too...well nasi kerabu is my fav..if ada byk main dish & nasi kerabu ada, i dah x pandang yg lain dah eheh. ermm, i pun x pernah buat,selalu tlg2 je MIL buat. Anyhow, it's super simple recipe.

Unaizah said...

Rina - Sama la kita ye.... I memang dah suka nasi kerabu dari zaman anak dara lagi. I sebenarnya malas nak belajar buat....rajin makan je hihihi.