Saturday, February 5, 2011

Ear Piercing / Bertindik

Dear Diary,

I wanted to have Zarra’s ears pierced for a while already but keep on postponing it. Many things run through my mind as I contemplating this idea. Is she too young? Will it be bearable or too painful? Will she like it? Will she be traumatized? I want this to be a lovely mother-daughter bonding experience for her like what I went through with my mother.

Concurrently, I try to prepare her psychologically. Knowing how my little girl loves girly stuffs and beautiful things, I show her my earrings collection and teach her how to put them on my ears. I explain to her that ears have to be pierced first before anyone can wear earrings. I also entice her by pointing to her cousins’ pierced ears and their earrings. Seeing her mother, grandmothers, aunts and cousins wear earrings; she sometimes said to me she wants to wear them too. I take this as a good sign and it’s about time for her to bertindik.

Pucuk dicita ulam mendatang. The salon that both of us had our haircuts also offers ear piercing services. When I asked Zarra whether she wants her ears pierced, she immediately agreed. Pity her! I don’t think she knew what was coming next.


Firstly, the lady marked a dot on each Zarra’s ears. Then, she sprayed ethyl chloride to numb the senses. Last but not least, she pierced one ear. Waaaa….and the wailing started! I quickly asked the lady to proceed with the second ear. If not done right away, I’m afraid Zarra would change her mind and resist. Luckily, the lady was swift in her work. Within minutes, the piercing session was completed.

My poor baby girl was crying on top of her lungs. I persuaded her and soothed her anxiety by repeatedly saying she’s beautiful and it’s already over. Bit by bit, she started to smile again. Ten minutes later, she was playing happily as if nothing happened.


Ps: Auntie Ermayum, ni gambar Zarra with new haircut and new pierced ears...

2 notes of inspiration:

maya amir said...

heheheh..i kecik2 dulu pun mase abah tanye nak tindik tak? i agree jek, skali org tu nak hala jek pistol i dah gigil2 dah..finally berjaya jugak..hehehehe

Unaizah said...

Maya - Nasib baik Zarra tak nampak pistol yg Auntie tu pegang. If not, rasanya sampai sekarang tak bertindik la.